Emergency Response Overview
Electrical Fire If you have an electrical fire, make sure everyone leaves the house. Call 911 right away if you don’t think you can extinguish the fire. Then, if the fire is still small (for example, confined to an appliance) unplug the appliance or turn off the electricity, but don't touch the appliance. Never put water on an electrical fire. Use a fire extinguisher recommended for electrical (class C) fires. If the fire has affected your service entrance wiring or your meter, call TREC as soon as possible at (877) 456-8732. If you receive an automated message, please leave a message providing the location of the damaged wiring.
Electrical Shock CALL 911!!! When a victim is in contact with live, indoor electricity, you should NEVER TOUCH THE VICTIM or the appliance, wire, etc., causing the shock. Shut off the power, if possible by turning off the circuit breaker or unplugging the fuse. If power to the dwelling needs to be turned off call TREC at (877) 456-8732. When the victim is in contact with a live outdoor wire. First, CALL 911 and then call TREC and let us turn off the power(remember that location is extremely important. In all cases of electrical shock, get medical help immediately.
Downed Line NEVER touch or approach a downed power line. Always assume a downed power line is live and dangerous! Call TREC immediately at (877) 456-8732. If you receive an automated message, please leave a message providing the location of the downed line.
Tech Alert: We welcome your comments, but our dispatch crew is not able to respond to emergencies via email. For your safety, please notify the proper authority by phone if you have an electrical emergency.
Always use caution when operating a portable generator. Improper use can cause problems and injury to electrical utility workers as a result of "feedback" to the utility's electrical distribution systems. Here are some safety tips to remember:
Do not connect a portable generator to your existing house wiring unless it is wired through a transfer switch designed to prevent feedback on to the utility system. For most generators, connect directly to an appliances, and only use approved and properly sized power cords.
Operate generators outside, away from flammable objects. Keep children and pets away from portable generators.
Never add fuel while a generator is running. Turn it off and let it cool first.
Portable generators should be properly grounded before being used. Read your owner's manual for instructions.
The use of an extension cord that is connected to a neighboring home or business is discouraged. Depending on how the cord is connected to the home needing power, it can result in "silent feedback" to the utility's electrical distribution system. This information is posted in the interest of the safety of our customers and employees. TREC is not responsible for any damage or injury resulting from or omitted from these generator safety tips.
For further information on permanently wiring a generator to your house you can call Ken Hodge, System Engineer at (800)332-8732 ext. 721 or send an email email@example.com.